Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blast from the Past: Star Trek Review

If you don't want to know what happens in the Star Trek Movie stop reading NOW. Because this thing is gonna be filled with Spoilers. Actually...I might not have that much to say other than it's AWESOME and everyone should watch it.

Chris Pine as Kirk is FANTASTIC...he has the cockiness and the bravado and the gut instinct that is totally Kirk. He's less womanizing than Shatner's Kirk I think mostly because there weren't really any women in the movie other than Uhura. He also brings a sort of vulnerability, an intelligence, a sense of nobility and a sweetness that Shatner didn't really have. I think it's his sweetness that is really different. He has this young sense of being cocky but not annoyingly so. He's not annoying...which is odd. Not one time in the film did I think he was annoying as a womanizing jerk or as a cocky cadet or anything. I was on his side for the whole time, rooting him on, feeling his pain. He was very likable, that's the word. And boy does he feel pain in this film. He's always beaten up, the only reason he's still alive is because he can take it more than everyone else can. I mean he gets beaten up...like 5 times in one day, I should count next time.

Zachary Quinto as Spock was...OMFG NINJATASTIC....that's not even a word, well we'll make it word now. Seriously...seriously...he held his OWN in scenes with Leonard Nemoy playing Spock. And like the sexiness factor!! It should be impossible to make a Vulcan sexy but he managed it! I mean even with the bowl haircut and the pointy ears...he is DAMN sexy. And I love his fight for control...and being the good guy this time. We only ever see Zachary Quinto as the bad guy in Heroes and now he gets to play the good one. And when he was standing up to that Vulcan Council!! Omgggg he was just so perfectly subtly insulting...and when he said "Live long and prosper," giving just the hint of inflection on the words, it made me have shivers. And when he fights for control...it was heartbreaking. Gah...

Simon Pegg as Scotty only came in the second half of the movie but he was still GREAT! He had greattt linessssssss omgggg and he was so perfectly enthusiastic about everything. And I liked his Scottish accent even though it wasn't perfect, it wasn't like...a BAD Scottish accent.

John Cho as Sulu finally got to be MANLY...GOOO FOR MANLY ASIAN GUYS FINALLY, he pulled out this collapsable sword which sounds kinda hokey and it was kinda cuz it was like he just pulled it out of nowhere but he could FIGHT with it like NOBODY'S BUSINESS. And how cute he was when he couldn't get the Starship to move. Haha...He also got to be more serious...instead of the more college humor comedies he was making.

Karl Urban as Bones...WAS....OMG SO DIFFERENT BUT STILL GOOD. I mean he played Eomer in Lord of the Rings and then he played a lot of like darker action roles but this time he got to be FUNNY and he was funny!!! I mean the sequence where he gets Kirk on the ship by injecting him with this like almost toxic vaccine is one of the FUNNIEST SEQUENCES IN THE WHOLE MOVIE...HAHAHAHAHA. Omggg..I laughed so hard. And I like how he has this sort of dead panned humor.

Anton Yelchin as Chekov is sooooo cute!! His little Russian Accent and not being able to say V...he always says it as a W. So Vulcan is Wulcan and invisible is inwisible. Awww he's so cute. And everytime he said something I burst out laughing because he was SOO cute!! I don't know why they put him on Com though...hardly anyone can understand him. Haha.

Uhura kicks ASS. Omg she's so STRONG...and she can totally take care of herself. When she finds out she's not on USS Enterprise and tells Spock with this attitude and TELLS him that she's on the Enterprise he's like...Ooohhh well lookie here...must have gotten it wrong somehow...heh...yes, you're on the Enterprise and she's like "I thought so, bitch." haha...well okay not so much like that...but LIKE THAT....and yeah.

Things that surprised me or I didn't like: The skirts on the uniforms of the girl cadets in Star Fleet...like...SHORT MUCH?? Seriously?? Even in the military today the skirts are WAYY longer...they're like MINISKIRTS on the girls...and anyone who's a girl would know, we can't run in miniskirts!! How in the HECK are we supposed to do jobs in miniskirts?? At least make it longer...or let us freaking wear pants!...Class A's for women in the military have skirts wayy longer, I mean it's not about looking at the legs of the female it's about uniformity...geez Louise. Another thing that threw me for a loop was Spock and Uhura's relationship...it kinda all of a sudden was there. And I didn't see it coming...and I thought it was awkward at first but it kinda grew on me. I mean when she comforts him in the Elevator...that was a good sequence but...I don't know...all of a sudden it was there but before it wasn't...sooo it was weird. Maybe we'll see it evolve more. I kinda thought Uhura was gonna be with Kirk though. I felt like Spock and Uhura didn't really match that much...at all, personality wise...maybe that's why I thought it was weird. Uhura's feisty, I thought she would be with Kirk. Spock is kinda androgynous that way...haha...it's hard to imagine him with anyone even though he's sexy in this movie. Another HUGE plot point was the longggg thin line that holds the drill up...seriously...the Romulans couldn't think of a better way to secure it?? I mean didn't they think someone could just cut the line with some lasers and then bye bye drill?? I mean that's what Spock did and that was it!! It was kinda anti-climactic. I mean they should have known that someone would do that...and it was only ONE line. I mean they could have secured it with more or something.

Moments that made me laugh: Nearly the whole movie but to narrow it down, Scotty saying "I'm giving it all she's got Captain," and "She canna take anymore!" [I may have made that last line up...because I thought it was in the movie and it might not be...haha] And when Bones goes, "I'm a doctor, not a physicist." And any line by Chekov...that boy is so cute, "I CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT..." haha Any line by Scotty actually. I love Simon Pegg as Scotty.

I loved the whole first sequence, it was so good.

AND THERE IS GONNA BE A SEQUEL...I KNEW IT. Because of the way they made this movie, they don't have to follow canon at all because it's an alternate universe, so of COURSE there's gonna be a sequel because now the writers can do whatever they want, and make up whatever they want and no one can be like OH NO THAT'S NOT CANON because it doesn't have to be now.

JJ ABRAMS...I want to take off my hat to you. You have made a Star Trek that Trekkies can be proud of. Seriously, this is what the Star Trek franchise has culminated in. I mean I saw the potential it had to be REALLY good, to be Star Wars level good, to surpass Star Wars, in effects, acting, set design, script and story, and overall feel but everyone had kept making Star Trek that hokey, corny, never-want-to-be-seen-with second cousin of the more polished Star Wars. The premise was there, it had everything but it just needed that push to be EPIC. Now Trekkies everywhere can take pride in the fact that their beloved story/premise/world has been taken care of and one upped Star Wars. Seriously...the sleek lines, the epic feel all are attributed to you JJ Abrams. It is truly an epic piece of SciFi. Thank you, man, thank you.

I love how old SciFi shows are getting an upgrade to something sleeker, or more grittier, or more realistic. I LOVE THAT...Battlestar Galactica, now Star Trek, and old shows as well. Batman, Transformers, Bond. GAH! Makes me soo happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment